Thursday, January 14, 2010

Karen Lynne Baker - October 1956 to January 2010


On January 1st, 2010, in the late afternoon, my dear friend, neighbor, and walking companion of over 5 years, lost her life while riding as a passenger on a motorcyle with her husband.  This has been a life-changing event for hundreds of people.  Her funeral was packed.  The flowers and messages of sympathy that poured in were staggering.  Karen, I'm sure, was amazed.  What an impact she has had on the lives of so many - and will continue to do so.  I'm not sure she would love being featured on my blog - but because of who she was to me, to not do so would be unthinkable.  I think we tend to "perfect" those that leave this world before us.  We conveniently forget their flaws and only speak of their goodness.  Wouldn't it be nice if we did that for those who are still alive?  What a different world it could be if we always focussed on the positive.  Karen did that.  She looked at you with the vision of your potential.  If she had a flaw it would be that she doubted herself and the influence she had in this crazy, ol' world.  I bet she isn't doing that now.

So Karen:  Here's to you old friend!  I'll see you soon.  I know you'll be doing good where you are & we will walk together again.  Until then...I love you!


4 comments:

  1. I love you, Mom. Thank you for that post. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha,
    Thank you for sharing your feelings about Karen. Colton shared your blog address with us, and told us how wonderful your comments were. Thanks!
    Shelley Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen will be missed by all of us!! WHat a wonderful woman, and a WONDERFUL smile and laugh!! I just KNOW she had a hand in this new Payson temple! Look at that, still spreading her sunshine wherever she goes!! Love you mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a loss. She sounds like a wonderful person and a great friend. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete